I’ve always had a lot of time for Ken Blanchard – his views on what makes an effective Leader have always resonated with me. In his 76th year, he is still writing books and making perfect sense. In a recent spotlight on Ken, he summarises perfectly a winning strategy for all leaders, hope you like it as much as I did.
- Start your day slowly – we all have two selves, an inner self (thoughtful, reflective and a good listener) and an outer, task-oriented self. Allow your thoughtful, inner self guide your day more often.
- Have a compelling vision – dreams lift us up. If we really believe them we start to act as if they are true; to be successful we all need a significant purpose, clear values and a picture of the future that shows us how things could be.
- Welcome feedback – look at feedback as a gift and say thank you. Feedback is the breakfast of champions!
- Catch people doing things right – praising others is one of the most powerful keys to successful relationships.
- Practice humility – turn negative self-centredness into postitive powerful action. Get your ego out of the way and practice humility.
” People follow leaders because they like and respect them – not because they have power”
– Ken Blanchard – 2015